Call for Symposia
We're delighted to announce that the Society for Molecular Biology & Evolution is now accepting proposals for symposium topics for the 2019 Annual Meeting, taking place in Manchester, United Kingdom, from 21st – 25th July 2019.
Proposals will be reviewed by the committee with around 20-30 topics selected for inclusion within the scientific programme.
5 September 2018 – Symposia applications accepted
9 November 2018 – Deadline for symposia applications
3 December 2018 – Abstract submission opens
1 February 2019 – Abstract submission deadline
8 February 2019 – Abstract review commences
Proposals should span the range of interests of SMBE members, including exciting new scientific developments, and should represent the geographic and gender diversity of our membership. (To ensure the meeting is fully accessible to international participants the conference organisers will providing supporting documentation and advice for visa applications to the UK). For each accepted symposium, SMBE will provide partial financial support to help attract outstanding invited speakers.
Symposium Proposal Guidelines
Please review the following guidelines before submitting a Symposium Proposal
- Individuals can only be listed as an organiser for one symposium proposal, although organisers can be listed as an invited speaker on another proposal
- Each symposium will include one or two invited speakers plus a number of contributed speakers
- The invited speakers should be highly regarded within their area of specialty and be able to deliver a presentation of wide interest
- All invited speakers included within a symposium should have verbally agreed to be involved before the proposal is submitted
- The Society provides financial support to facilitate symposium organisers in attracting outstanding invited speakers
- Provide a description of the symposium (200 words max) that will be made public if selected, together with a separate narrative containing any additional information for the committee to make an informed review, including explanation if departing from the usual number (two) of organisers.
- The symposia proposals selected for inclusion within the SMBE 2019 scientific programme will then be included as part of the abstract submission portal which will open in December 2018
The deadline for symposium submission has now passed. The committee are currently reviewing the submissions. Submitters will be notified shortly of the outcome. Further details around abstract submissions will be shared shortly. In order to stay up to date on developments for SMBE 2019 please sign up using the button at the top of the page.
Funding of symposia
Registration and travel costs will be partially covered for invited speakers. If a symposium is selected, the invited speakers will have all or most of their registration fee, accommodation, and travel covered by the conference (at the level of approximately $2000 per invited speaker against receipts.) This financial support for invited speakers will be managed by the local organising committee under all circumstances.
The symposium organisers will select the contributed speakers from the abstracts submitted under that topic by registered delegates. The local organising committee may suggest one additional invited speaker per symposium (based on symposium title), at no cost to the symposium.
The final decision on the selection of symposia, invited and contributed talks will be made by the scientific organizing committee (SOC). Criteria will include quality of the proposals, breadth of interest to SMBE membership, and representation of the diversity of SMBE membership among speakers.
Note that no one will be allowed to give more than one presentation (talk or poster) at SMBE 2019, a rule that will be enforced by the Local Organising Committee.